Friday, October 16, 2009

Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue

I have been diagnosed with these conditions for about 5 years now and just recently received my SSDI acceptance because of them plus other disabilities. My disease is fairly severe, requiring pain medication on a daily basis. The medication does not relieve the pain so much as to occasionally jolt my energy level to a point where I can do little required tasks during the day. Some days are better than others and I praise God when I'm able to wake up and get out of the bed in the morning without it bringing tears to my eyes. I never know from day to day how I'm going to feel when I wake up.

I have found that eating sweets aggravate my symptoms and so have tried really hard to cut back on foods with sugar. I also try to change positions many times a day and take a short walk every evening which seems to help sometimes.

Weather conditions affect my symptoms drastically and there's nothing I can do for that. I use Horse Liniment and hot showers to try and help during damp and cold weather. I've also found that drinking the new Elations (Glucosamine) has helped my joint pain some but just read this article and don't know whether I need to continue it or not...http://www.my3cents.com/showReview.cgi?id=41929

I have an appointment with my psychiatrist next week to talk to him about Adderall. I have been reading several articles where this drug is helping with the fatigue and brain fog that accompanies these diseases. I have tried Lyrica and every depression medication on the market but I am unable to tolerate the side effects of most medications so could not continue them.

I am wanting to try and keep a log of daily activities, diet and weather conditions to see if I can better determine what helps and what makes matters worse...so today is day one.

It is cloudy, humid and in the 50's today. It is 2:30pm and I've not been able to do anything productive yet. I've had a frozen pack of 2 sausage biscuits to eat. So much for an exciting life, lol!

2 comments:

  1. SO excited that you are going to be blogging! I've been waiting for this you know:) Hope you'll sometimes include updates on your goats, cats, dog, etc.!

    I have some of the Elations drink too. After I finsh it, I guess I'll be taking the pills.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kathy! Since the weather has changed, I have not felt like holding my head up, hardly, but you know how it is. I am desperately reaching out and trying to find something to help so I can get through Winter and am able to take care of the animals. Sadly I have neglected them lately...just don't have the energy so something's got to give. I want some semblance close to having a life. It's a viscous cycle...don't feel like doing anything, then I hurt worse because I don't do anything...good grief!

    ReplyDelete